The Quality of Waiting

The quality of waiting crossed my mind this week as I sat in the dentist chair with both of his hands and an instrument or two from the hygentist shoved in my mouth. I was anxiously waiting for them to be finished with their work so I could get up from that most uncomfortable chair in which they lower my head below my heart... and that has no support for my lower back. I was done waiting before they were ready to deem me so.

I also waited recently for a plane to land so that folks could file off, and I could be among the new board-ers. I was at O'Hare International with the temperature 35 degrees farenheit and dropping. There was a steady rain pelting the windows just trying to turn the rain into sleet and snow -- making the tarmack crew seek plastic slickers and shelter. Again, I was done waiting before Spirit Airlines was ready to deem me so.

In contrast I've recently waited for a movie begin, waited in the drive-through lane at Steak n Shake for my chocolate shake, waited to be seated at a new favorite restaurant for coconut shrimp and waited for Sam to get home. The quality of these times of waiting were different. My waiting was not anxious or foreboding. It wasn't impatient but thoughtful. The anticipation in these experiences out-weighed the delay. I never reached the point of feeling that I was done waiting.

Does what we are waiting for determine the quality of our waiting or is our waiting quality determined by something else? Are there people whose patience is simply more well-formed and who are more able to wait in serenity? What determines the quality of waiting? Or more to the point: how are you at waiting? What did you have to wait for... or who did you have to wait for this week? How was that? Was the quality of your waiting determined by what or who you were waiting for? Could people who watched you easily discern the quality of your waiting?

As the Advent Candles are lit each Sunday, we're given the opportunity for a moment of reflection to consider that we are in a season of waiting. We are waiting to once more celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Christ -- waiting for Christ to be born anew in us -- waiting for the time when Christ will come again as He promised. What's the quality of your spiritual waiting as we approach Christmas? Are you waiting for the celebration... the transformation... or the culmination? Can people who see you easily discern the quality of the spiritual waiting that is a part of your life? Is that important?

Meditation is a discipline of patience which has an enormous impact on the quality of all our waiting. Laurence Freeman, OSB writes that: "violence is the failure of imagination, patience and courage." In those times when we sit quietly and allow the Spirit of God to pray in and through us our life and awareness begin to be transformed. Meditation works in us keeping us from the edge of a violent response to our circumstances--perhaps especially to our waiting.

What are you waiting for right now? Is there a relationship that needs untangling, a physical problem for which there's no clear cure, an enduring sadness or loneliness? Does the thought of waiting cause a knot to form deep inside--or are you able to experience waiting with a confident peace?

Especially in this season that lends itself to more doing than being, let me encourage you to push the pause button on your life. Take time to consider what it is you are waiting for as Christmas draws near, and to notice the quality of your waiting. Regardless of what we are waiting for, God's Spirit abounds to redeem us. The One for whom we are waiting, can help us wait in perfect peace. BLESSINGS AND JOY, THE CELTIC MONK.

Comments

  1. My quality of waiting lately has stunk. As I seek to reclaim it I have had to make a intentional effort to resist the Christmas rush and settle into and carry with me an Advent hush. 'Resist isn't quite the right word. Perhaps, it's more accurate to say that I have to release the Christmas rush. There is no quiet in wrestling with it only releasing it.

    Thank you for the post. I needed this.

    John
    The Practical Disciple

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

An Invitation

Hope as a Verb