OUTSIDE MY WINDOW AT 3:15 A.M.

My spiritual journey along with taking me inward to a deep interior life -- occasionally takes me outward in search of new ways, new experiences, new things. This week my quest for God brought me to St. John's Abbey in Collegeville Minnesota...to spend a week practicing the art of group spiritual direction with friends from the Shalem Institute.

Our time together since Thursday has been rich indeed. Full days of being both intentional and gentle with one another as we intend together to open space for God to speak into our lives and our spirits. It is as fully as I've ever experienced a prayerfully orchestrated kairos moment where waiting on God takes precedence over all else. It's an exercise in trust and freedom... where a core experience and gift we offer one another is a total lack of judgment. There are no fixing conversations...no oughts, shoulds, or subtle spiritual one-ups-man-ship conversations. It's an intentional time of grace.

Outside the ten foot by six foot window in my room here at the Abbey Guest House is a forest of pine trees most four stories tall. Beyond the shallow part of the forest is a lake that covers one-third of the 2700 acres of St. John's property. The first night here, I dutifully closed the drape to this natural wonder as I got ready for bed. Yet as I planned to do so again last night I wondered why. So I retired watching the moon rise in the eastern sky.

But there is something about such natural beauty. It's irresistable. When I awoke a few minutes ago... as I am apt to do... rather than consider the darkness of my space and roll over and go back to sleep, I was drawn to the night forest I could see from underneath my cozy covers. The scene was more stunning than any painting could capture; Tall, straight, bark-covered trunks of majestically statuesque pines perfectly still in the night. Some of them reflecting the subtle burnt orange glow of lights coming from the building. Others making their presence known only in line and shadow. The blackness beyond them, a very deep darkness indeed still somehow beautiful. And as I look up, to where the tops of the trees clear the roofline of the building in which I am sitting... the moon light causes their bark to shimmer.

I wonder this morning about the habit, the fear, that caused me, without a second thought, to close out this forest that first evening. How is it that 48 hours ago I didn't see what is so real to me now? And what are those other habits and those other fears in my life that keep me from being in awe of the goodness of God and God's creation each day? Where else do I close the curtain before seeing the handiwork of God?

It's no accident, that these thoughts come with all their holy wonder in the silence of this still night. This time has been set aside, has been hallowed, and as God promised He comes always and only when invited. May my prayer be yours this day and always "Come into my heart with Your peace, Lord Jesus Christ...and fill me with Your love."

But now the glow of my computer screen has made the trees fade into darkness too long. And I have a few more hours of peaceful sleep before the beginning of Sabbath. May it be well with your soul this Lord's Day. BLESSINGS AND JOY...THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

  1. Along with your many talents, writing is definitely near the top of the list. After reading this I feel as though I, too, am sitting in the cool morning dark watching the majesty of God's hand. As I am preparing to take a long weekend in Ohio just to see the colors in another 10 days, I know that walking amongst the autumnal foliage is my way of looking for God's gift of seasons and change. Thank you for taking us with you on your trip to MN.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation