THOU WILT KEEP IN PERFECT PEACE

Yesterday was a roller coaster ride of experiences and emotions. In the morning I said good-bye to the congregation of Moorings Presbyyerian Church which I served for a little over 18 months.

From the farewell, I enjoyed lunch with new friends and then off to preach for the installation of the newest member of Peace River Presbytery at Vanderbilt. A warm welcome of a new ministry is so heartening, both for the minister and the congregation. The words of promise and affirmation to Ed on the occasion of his new call renewed my hope in the Church.

I keep finding myself in bittersweet times like yesterday. Sad to be leaving a place where, my heart tells me, my work was not yet finished. Yet at the same time excited for what God has in mind. It feels as though I am living at the vanishing point. I can well see what was behind and cannot yet see what's ahead.

The constant in the divergence of experiences yesterday was the center of peace amidst the emotions. In the morning when Kiera and Kaelen gave me their precious construction paper and crayon cards with hearts and crosses... though tears ran freely...there was this peace. And later at the installation, when I heard the Vanderbilt congregation promise to care for, support and act justly towards their new minister, I felt a wave of peace that's almost impossible to describe.

Reflecting on all of this this morning a verse I memorized a zillion years ago came to mind. It's the King James Version and likely not word for word anymore, but here it is: "Thou wilt keep in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee, because they trusteth in Thee." That's what yesterday was for me. A time to recall and rely on the One who keeps me in perfect peace, because I look to Him and trust in Him alone.

I suppose I do hope for days ahead that are not roller coaster-esque. But I wouldn't trade the sense of deep abiding peace of a tumultuous yesterday for a week of tomorrow's of smooth sailing. Life is really all about our relationship with the Divine. Sometimes it shines most brightly in the darkness. JOY AND BLESSINGS, THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation