ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION

As I've proceeded along the path that is opening before me (which I trust is Holy Spirit led) I find myself doing things I never dreamed of doing or frankly never cared too much about. One of those is writing Articles of Incorporation to become recognized as a ministry organization in the state of Florida. The Articles include:

* A Purpose Statement in less than 240 characters (including spaces)
* A short description of who you are, what you intend to do and who you're
intending to do it with
* A Dissolution Statement that explains where all your worldly goods will go when
the organization as an entity ceases to exist
* and a $87.50 filing fee.

The more I thought about the Articles of Incoporation for Peace River Spirituality Center, Inc. the more they reminded me of The Rule of St. Benedict or really any Rule of Life that someone has taken the time to write. What is a Rule other than a document explaining our understanding of our purpose...a plan for what we'll do and who we'll do it with and what we hope (or expect) to happen when we cease to exist. That's as far as I can stretch the metaphor -- I don't know what to make of the filing fee :)

I led an educational event several years ago, where as the last project we made a first attempt at writing a Spiritual Rule of Life. Our particular interest was to document for ourselves what we would commit to be & do as we chose to live faithfully before God.

Through the process of founding Peace River Spirituality Center I've re-written my Rule of Life. It includes a flow around which I'll structure my time and attention each day. It is, in a very real sense, my spiritual Articles of Incorporation that give my life in God purpose and direction at this moment, and attest to my hope in final things. I'm finding the cost (or the filing fee) is humility. Making promises to a holy and perfect God is quite humbling.

Let me encourage you to write a spiritual rule of life either for the first time, or to re-write yours if you can no longer remember it. If you need some help getting started, email me. I'll be glad to walk with you. Blessings and Joy, THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation