PREPARING THE WAY

This morning on my way to the church, I left a container of Christmas cookies on the step of a camper that was by the side of the road.  Well, perhaps I'm already ahead of myself.

Last Sunday morning as we were on our way to church, there was a camper/rv at the side of a two lane divided highway.  I was a little irritated as I drove by thinking how unsafe a place to park not only for the owner, but for travelers.  However, by the time we passed by later in the day, I noticed it was gone.

Then Tuesday morning on another little road I frequent, the camper/rv was back again this time at the side of an even more narrow two lane road. Really quite out of place. Surprised to see it a second time, I began to wonder about the folks who owned it or were in it.  Why weren't they at one of the 100 rv parks around here.  Why at the side of the road with no electric, no water.

While leaving home this morning, I packed a container with Christmas cookies (the kind I only make once a year.)  My plan: if I should see that camper/rv again, to offer them encouragement and to see if I could be practically helpful. 

I was suprised to see it still on the narrow road, now donning an orange construction cone at the back end so that approaching drivers could see them.  I pulled in front of it and knocked on the front door.  No one was home, so I left the cookies on the tall step with a note saying that I'd noticed them and wanted to share God's love with them.

In this Advent season with its drumbeat of watch words like 'being awake', 'waiting' and 'preparing', there are all kinds of things we might choose to do to prepare ourselves to meet Christ. But as this drama has lived itself out in me these past few days, I'm convinced that this is how I was called to prepare this year.

It's a story without an ending.  I'm wondering if the camper will still be there tonight when I pass by once again.  I'm wondering if there will be any signs of life in there.  I'm wondering if the cookies will be gone from the steps.

How are you preparing this Advent Season?  Who are you expecting?  How might you be a manifestation of Christ and a demonstration of the love of God?  A couple dozen of my prize cookies aren't worth a lot.  But its what I felt called to do in my watching, waiting and being awake. May the Spirit of the Advent Season lead you and bless you. 
IN PEACE AND JOY, Kathleen Bronagh Weller, THE CELTIC MONK
  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation