LOST IN WONDER



Last Sunday was World Communion Sunday. The church I'm serving, First Presbyterian of Naples celebrated the day with music of diverse cultures. It was as if we, sitting in our uni-ethnic congregation, stretched out our hands a little further into the rainbow of the worlds peoples.

World Communion Sunday was also the debut of FPC's new quartet who are an exercise in diversity itself. Three long-time section leaders who'd been with the choir for many, many years retired to greener pastures this summer. The diversity comes in as the age of their three replacements, added together, is likely less than the age of one of the senior retirees. Don't mis-understand. I'm not being ageist. It's simply a huge difference that's hard to miss.

Their youthful voices, youthful style, youthful attitudes, youthful demeanor could be startling. However, they've entered with such grace to fill shoes that were beloved, and they're doing it like ducks take to water. [see photo above] But beyond that they speak to me of the next generation of talented and dedicated musicians who are being trained right now and will provide sacred music for the church into the forseeable future.[Not all congregations will be moving to a praise band.] If these men and women are indicative of their generation, trained voices and soul-piercing compositions both ancient and modern have a place in the worship of God in the decades ahead.

Some of this was going through my mind as I sat next to the communion table as they began their special music piece this week. A changing of the guard. Fresh voices, fresh spirit, fresh opportunity to lead God's people to the table in song. I truly was 'lost in wonder.' Until...

I was pulled from these grand thoughts and the beautiful piece they were singing, by the sound of my colleague rattling the metal trays filled with thimble sized cups of grape juice. A sound akin to fingernails on a blackboard. It seems that as I was reveling in "all things new" I lost track of the passing of time. The Deacons were making their way down the center aisle. My colleague had called my name discreetly a few times, to no avail, to get me to come and pick up trays to pass to the servers. And in desperation finally he'd rattled those tin trays quite loudly in his quest to get my attention.

I did jump to my feet, as much as that is possible in a 5 pound preaching gown, and did my duty with a great grin on my face. When I turned back to return to my seat up on the chancel, several in the choir were smiling too, as I mouthed to them "I was listening to the quartet!"

It was a hopeful World Communion Sunday for me this year, despite my missing my que. One I won't soon forget. Because in that sanctuary on 2nd and 6th, the mystery of the meal was made visible in four beautiful faces and voices. The Table was set, the meal prepared and God broke in. The old had passed away, all things were made new. Grace abounded. Fresh vistas appeared, and some of us were lost in the wonder of it all. What a feast. What an amazingly diverse feast. To God be the glory, world without end. Amen.

Use this link and turn to page 3 of the FPC Naples newsletter to read about these singers and see their picture.

BLESSINGS AND JOY, Kathleen Bronagh Weller, THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation