MAKING WHOLE ~ MAKING HOLY


Arrived yesterday at the Humphries Terminaal, MSP airport. Friend/colleague John was on the ground and had rented a car... Peggy and John V would soon be landing then we'd together make our way the 75 miles west to St. Johns Abbey/University/ Guest House. It's a once a year reunion for us (the week after Easter) when sometimes up to nine of us gather to share the continuing stories of our lives and ministries since being ordained ('93-'94)

This year it's a double-reunion for me as I'm able to make an extra trip up to St. John's-- where in early July I'll take my final vows as a Benedictine Oblate. But today, for the first time it feels as though my two communities...are merging. Gathered with these folks in this location - I'm able to talk about being "Presby-dictine" a called, ordained Presbyterian clergywoman and a Benedictine Oblate learning to incorporate the Rule of Benedict into my everyday life. I am sharing the ways in which this place and these people [Benedictines] speak to me... and why I have chosen the unusual (not unheard of) path of seeking to become affiliated with a Benedictine community while maintaining my ordination firmly.

Already this time feels integrative to me. A time of making whole what are two different parts of my journey. Making whole... making holy. It's not always easy for me to explain to members of the frozen chosen why this extra-denominational relationship is important. Especially when some Presbyterians find such a thing akin to fraternizing with the enemy. "Didn't we leave that all behind us in the Reformation?"

You must remember that I came from Catholic roots in my family of origin. Only after coasting as an Easter and Christimas Catholic for several years in my late teens and 20's did I make the break quite pointedly by being re-baptized as an adult in an evangelical church, before finding the Presbyterian Church. After that, it still took decades for me begin to wonder, if I'd not thrown out the 'baby with the bathwater' ... to wonder if there weren't some things from the faith tradition of my youth that spoke deeply to my soul still. And more than wonder--to beging to look for that which I experienced as missing.

So here I am in these decidely Catholic environs having invited my favorite Presbyterians to retreat here with me and the symbolism of it all, when being here in this place with these folks begins to feel as though it is crashing in and the spiritual experience which I've only till now carried inside of me--uniting my Presbyterian and Benedictine paths becomes more than words and ideas within me. The hope that integration of these two traditions can become peaceably one on my journey IS REAL as my friends have willingly traveled here from the places and communities which they serve and do ministry.

I only now realize how important to me this integration process is; and I realize it's more really than some kind of blending of traditions, it's incarnational. It's these two spiritual identities being born in me and my being able to live them and believe them and hold them in tension in my life and ministry in a way that is whole and holy; then to offer the best of each--and there is much good in each--to others in ways that are life giving and soul satisfying to them as well. A lot of learning in the first 24 hours here.

You may be someone who struggles with the idea of acceptance, respect or support for a faith tradition that contradicts some of what you believe or that your church or denomination teaches. Maybe you had a bad experience with someone from another faith group and have never recovered from it. My intent is not to offend your religious sensibilities. Yet there must be a way, as a starting point, for those of us who call ourselves Christians to break through some of the divisions and ugliness that has marred our witness and testimony these 2,000 years and to take seriously Jesus' prayer: Father, make them one, as You and I are one.

As a starting point it might be good to consider those "other" Christians with whom we disagree(whoever they are for you) and to find some piece of their theology or spiritual practice that you can embrace. Make the effort. Do some online investigating of their tradition. Open the dialogue. It won't hurt. (maybe our pride) In some ways, that's exactly what I'm doing. But in my reality its more of a divine design, rather than a choice. This ecumenical healing that I'm asking you to consider as an option--is incarnate in me--not a choice--a calling. It resides in the very fabric of who I am body, mind and spirit.

Nothing of eternal significance would be lost if all who love the Lord Jesus Christ, would choose to honor one another, embrace one another, differences and all. In fact, we might even put something of eternal significance in motion. To God be the Glory. BLESSINGS AND JOY FROM ST. JOHN'S ABBEY ~ THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation