THE GOSPEL OF JOHN according to the celtic monk

For Lent of 2010, my discipline was to rise early in the morning and make my way through the Gospel of John. My purpose was two fold as I hoped it would be both a spiritual practice, and that what I'd commit to paper would become a devotional on the Gospel of John that others could use.

During the past year, my faithful friend Connie, took my early morning scribble notes and entered them into the computer. I went back over the material to add and edit -- format and add prayers. Then it was off to 'real' editing. It's been a labor of love on so many levels. But how to publish it - that became the question.

As time became short, electronic publishing seemed the best option. So below, please find the reading for today. If you'd like to get a full week of daily readings and reflections, you can go to the link for the Peace River Spirituality website: If you click on THE GOSPEL OF JOHN on the prayer page, seven daily readings in Word format will open.

So that I don't deluge anyone with email they don't want -- each week, I'll blog just one daily entry and give the link for the next seven days. I'll also be posting a link on Facebook for the following weeks worth of readings. Small steps and small doses.

Perhaps that's a good model for the season of Lent; to take small faithful steps in small doses; giving God a bit more of our time or talent day by day for His glory. If you haven't already chosen a devotional or something to help you deepen your awareness of this time leading up to Holy Week and Easter... I invite you to participate with us in THE GOSPEL OF JOHN according to the celtic monk. Here's the first installment.

Thursday, March 10th John 1:6-14
6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. 8He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light. 9The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him. 11He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. 12But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God. 14And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth.

I love words. I love reading them, writing them, thinking of how to string them together, even editing them when I get it all wrong. I’m more than fascinated, perhaps mesmerized, by the concept of a Living Word. A Word that holds so much meaning, that it can’t be limited or contoured to fit; a Word that is always perfect in season and out; leading, guiding, directing—correcting the wayward, lighting the path for those in darkness. There is but One Word that will not lead astray, never coerce. There is but One Living Word simple, pure and stark and inviting. It is the Word that came into being by the will of God and whose other Name is Jesus.

Prayer: Living Word, live in me today so that others may read my life and be led to You.

May God bless each small step of your journey! PEACE AND JOY, THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

An Invitation

Hope as a Verb