On An Even Keel - Good Decision Making


On even the most mundane of days, we make thousands of decisions. Some are inconsequential, many are not. We might decide to drink tea or coffee, in the scheme of things, an inconsequential decision. Or we may be deciding whether to drink water or coffee which raises the stakes a little. We may decide to catch up on some work we've been meaning do - or use the spare moments to feed our soul. Our life is made up of such decisions.

But there are other decisions that for better or worse plot the course of our well-being and that of those around us. In those moments, what is it that helps us make good decisions rather than poor ones? Why do some people's lives seem to clip along on an even keel while other's seem to shipwreck on some regular basis?

On Wednesday while preparing to lead a class at Moorings Park, I ran across a piece from Chip Ingram on decision making. Chip offers that there are three elements needed to make good decisions: truth/wisdom - we know for certain the outcome; knowledge - we know enough to make an educated choice for good; and emotions - it feels right/we have hope. He contends it takes all three elements to make a decision that will keep life on an even keel and that in the absence of one or more elements we're headed for a shipwreck.

Early in my adult life (so sorry to those who had to watch) I made the majority of my decisions emotionally, with almost total disregard for truth and knowledge. My motto was: "Don't bother me with the details, this is what I want." It's the same thought process a baby uses when they stick a spoon into a wall socket. And the results are also very similar. I get sea sick just thinking of the ups and downs I went through, pulling others along with me. I was doing the best I could at the time and was totally unaware of how much I had yet to learn.

It's fascinating to me that a ships keel, as a structural element, stretches both from bow to stern and also often extends perpendicular to the ship, reaching far down into the water. To stay on an even keel -- defined as "in a stable steady condition" the keel is structurally necessary. The bigger the boat, the bigger the keel. I'd contend that the bigger the decision we need to make, the more necessary the combination of truth, knowledge and emotion are to the decision-making process.

The word 'keel' also names a ridge-shaped part in the breasbone of a bird to which the bird's flight muscles are anchored. Like with a ship, the keel is an import part of the bird's structure that allows unencumbered movement. What if one side of the birds breastbone was malformed? Likely, the bird would only ever fly in circles, one wing so much stronger than the other. It would be destined to a miserable life.

I'm guessing that you can name several decisions that fall into the category of shipwreck in your life. Perhaps it would be profitable to go back and run those shipwreck decisions through Chip's grid of good decision making ingredients to see what went awry. What from this list was missing in those decisions?

+ Truth... Certainty of outcome/Wise counsel.

+ Knowledge... Know enough about the variables to
make an educated decision.

+ Emotion... It feels right/it fills you with hope.

When I look at this list today it's easy to see that my doozy decisions were full of emotion and little else. But decisions based on any one element have the potential to lead to disaster. No matter how true something is, if it doesn't feel right, its not right for you. And even knowing all the variables, doesn't make something true or wise.

While we likely don't need a grid to decide the flavor of our next cup of tea, each of us face decisions daily that need more than a quick emotional response. The book of Proverbs tells us there is wisdom in many counselors. Jesus spent much time in prayer as he made his way through the decisions of his life. It was an act of surrender for Jesus to pray "Thy will and not mine be done." I don't know about you, but I wish I would have learned this earlier in my life.

So I pass these gleanings along humbly and lovingly hoping they might help in the decisions that lie before you; for they are many. If it serves to rescue even one small ship, I'll thank God with you. May your way be always towards steady and stable sailing and may all your decisions bring you to blue skies and calm water! BLESSINGS AND JOY, THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation