THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING


SUNRISE OVER THE BELL TOWER AT THE ABBEY OF GETHSEMANE

I'm aware that my last post "THE CONSOLATION OF GOD" was both vague and heavy - and I thank those of you who quickly and compassionately responded through emails, phone calls and visits. What a blessing to have love reflected back into one's life. What a blessing to sense the Spirit of God speaking through friends who I admire, trust and love.

Just this week a colleague [who isn't on the blog roll] phoned me saying he just heard the news via the Presbytery Grapevine that my kids and grandkids were moving from down the street to 1,500 miles away. Yes, its true. But next he said the most remarkable thing. He said "I've called to cry with you" and he meant it. While the heaviness of their leaving does grip me, I've been blessed to allow my tears to come and to go.

Pondering this new reality, I'm reminded of the little scripture phrase that says it this way: "It came to pass." It came to pass. What I've learned to understand by that is that situations and even people don't 'come to stay' in our lives, but to pass-by or pass-through. When the situation or the people are difficult -- the fact that they've 'come to pass' is really, really good news! But when a situation or people are beloved -- their passing through brings a heavy heart.

In your life and mine we've had numerous occasions to fill in that blank after we say 'it came to pass...' It came to pass-that a parent or sibling died. It came to pass-that a marriage failed. It came to pass-that a job ended. It came to pass...that an illness took root in our body. It came to pass-that our 5-year-old went to kindergarten, or our 18 year old went to war, or away to college. All these came to pass and then something new came after them.

In this temporary existence we call our life much will come to pass. Overwhelming joys as well as overwhelming sorrows come uninvited. When we experience ourselves in one of these pass-ages surrounded by good friends it makes the passing a little easier, the heaviness lighter or the celebration more joy-filled. When those who love us come to cry with us, we understand even more keenly the Scripture that teaches us "two are better than one." I am eternally grateful for the friends who have rallied around me, and my paltry thanks can't begin to express my gratitude.

But several times over the past few days I've experienced a lightness of being not tied to any one person. While taking laundry from the dryer, during a hymn in Sunday worship, walking down the hall just now, I was filled/lifted/released/comforted/ embraced by One who is unseen. Each time this lightness came, I had no doubt and I knew it was Him. Each time He came without my asking. Each time I felt as though I was being upheld and healed. Thanks be to God.

There's no other explanation for this lightness of being other than the real presence of a God who loves me. And I hope you have concluded, that as things have 'come to pass' in your life, there's no explanation for your well-being other than the presence of a Compassionate God who loves you too.

It's not often that we talk freely about God's intervening Presence -- inside or outside of church. But I just couldn't let the experinces of this past week go without a witness. Time and time again I was lifted, when I could not lift myself.

Does it make a difference in your life believing that situations, circumstances and even people have come to pass? Can you recall a moment or moments when you were filled/ lifted/ released/ comforted or embraced? What do you do to cultivate your awareness of the palpable Presence of God?

In the book: THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING you can find this bit of wisdom: "When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object." This week, my heart has been speaking of the nearness and dearness of the One who created me and loves me...and truly my mind finds it impossible to object. BLESSINGS AND JOY TO YOU. THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

  1. I found your article today and I wanted to say "Beautifully spoken".

    Thanks
    Alex
    www.allpatronsaints.com/catalog/celtic_crosses_130.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation