More Messages on I-75

Okay, so I know I should pay attention when speeding down an interstate at excessive miles per hour. And I do. Or I think I do. Or I am trying to do so. But sometimes a "God-thing" as my friend John would say, interupts. Like on Wednesday morning this week...

It was early enough in the morning for the sun to be rising on my left just coming over the tops of the trees in the distance, a sphere of ginormous proportions. It was so wonderful a sight that I wanted to stare. Yet when I looked back at the road in front of me, all I could see from even that first peek, were green circles. It made me laugh, first the looking and then the circles... none of it conducive to driving.

When I looked back a second time (once is never enough when gazing on splendor) the golden-orange glistening ball had made its way into a cloud bank that acted as a veil. It was enough cover to dim the shining, but not enough to obliterate the magnificence. There it was in all its glory behind an organza curtain through which I could still see the definition of its form and color.

As I continued to catch glimpses of it through my driver's side window, now safely diffused behind the whisper thin clouds, it reminded me of the graciousness of God as He comes to us each day veiled in our ordinary life circumstances. Should He come to us as the bare brilliance of His glory, we would not be able to look at Him too long. It is by His great compassion, that God reveals Himself in gentle ways to those who seek Him.

How many miles I travelled as I was taking all of this in is hard to say. I believe it began while I was in Estero and ended as I entered Collier County. By the time it was over I was already offering a thank you to the Holy One who reveals Himself as Way, Truth and Life.

I'm thankful for moments of spiritual clarity. I'm grateful for veiled manifestations of the Divine. I'm wondering about the thin places I've considered before--if it is the physical place that makes a difference, or if its a condition of our hearts. (Both/And, is likely) Encouraging you this week to see with your heart and give thanks. BLESSINGS AND JOY, THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation