PRAYER FOR THE NEW YEAR


I visit a site regularly put together by a group of Irish Jesuits called sacred space. I've been following the site for 10 years and it always seems fresh to me.

When I visited Sacred Space on New Year's Eve I came upon the following prayer which I found thought provoking and wanted to share with you:

Lord, 2009 was a difficult year across the globe. As it slips away in these short days, I pray about what you have done to me, and to my world, since last January. How was I touched by the recession which put millions of people out of work? Have I become more compassionate, or more selfish and defensive? The year saw failures on a massive scale, in banking and business and government. We could easily droop with depression, crying in the old Gaelic lament, ‘Ochón agus ochón agus ochón!'

Success is what we do with our failures. Somewhere in all this misery, Lord, you have a lesson for us. We do not learn it if we simply circle the wagons and defend the way we have always been. We have seen the consequences of unbridled greed. As we wish one another a happy new year, we might think twice before adding "and prosperous". The blinkered pursuit of prosperity has not spread happiness wider. Teach me, Lord.


As I read and re-read the prayer I found truth upon truth both in the words and inbetween.

Yes, 2009 was difficult. But as I've taught in the past (with very mixed reception) God's will and way is being worked out even if I don't yet see, agree, or understand it. The only thing more scary than saying "I pray about what You have done to me and to my world since last January" would be to consider instead that God kept Himself distant or completely cut off from us and our world since last January... that He saw the mess and walked away!

And surely failures from personal to super-corporate size abounded. But isn't it also abundantly true that what we do in adversity is the most accurate measure of ourselves as people, as neighbors, as followers of Christ. If we've been among the more fortunate, how have we helped those who were not in 2009 -- what are our plans for 2010?

This morning as I went back to look at the Jesuit's prayer once more, I was startled to find my name written into it in a way I've been able to leave un-named till now. [Is it the ego that allows us to be so blind?] We know that as the world-wide financial collapse grew, institutions began to collapse and many folks' charitable giving came to a halt. Facing a shortfall in the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars, my position at a non-profit organization was eliminated. In a desperate act to stay afloat... someone had to be thrown off the life boat and I became one of those unemployed of 2009! But God...

From such adversity Peace River Spirituality Center, Inc. was born. (www.peaceriverspirituality.org) It's been blest by generous gifts, support and encouragement of those who believe in its ministry and purpose. What it will become is beyond my control. If success is what we do with our failures... then Peace River Spirituality Center is already a success--not in a way the world recognizes--but a triumph of spirit. To God be the glory.

As an act of solidarity with my friends the Jesuits and the millions of people whose lives have been brought to the edge by all that happened in 2009, my simple wish for you is joy and health in the new year. And in these dawning days of 2010 perhaps we might consider the Source of our joy and health and how we can share it with others. Blessing upon blessing to you and those you love. THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation