SITTING WITH JOB

In my reading these past few weeks I've been accompanying Job the mythical biblical character who if he didn't have misfortune, would have no fortune at all. I spent time remembering my teacher in the Job course at Columbia Theological Seminary, Dr. Kathleen O'Connor, http://www.ctsnet.edu/FacultyMember.aspx?ID=32 and her depth of knowledge about and compassion towards this one called Job. I've used the passages from this book as they came up in the Sunday lectionary before...but right now...am finding new learnings from this guy no one wants to emulate.

The first of those learnings is that even as children of God, or perhaps especially as children of God, the only way to get beyond suffering is to go through it. Job had to go through it. Abraham had to go through it. Moses had to go through it. Jacob had to go through it. Jesus and Paul and Peter all walked into the suffering that was before them. If I'm remembering any of Psychology 101, this Theology 101 of the way of suffering is supported by even secualr disciplines. We all find out sooner or later that trying to postpone or avert suffering not only does not do those things...but sometimes increases it's duration or the number of people it touches.

Yet we'd be foolish to face suffering alone. Even Jesus took three disciples with Him as he went into the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus went there to petition His Father for another way -- but when it was clear there was no Plan B -- Jesus chose to go through the suffering that was before him, with God's help. In the sufferings which come to us...we too would be foolish to face them alone, and we also need to seek God's Presence with us each step of the way.

But another thing I've learned from Job lately, is that the trust in God it takes to move into our suffering, doesn't come automatically, or all at once. By the 23rd chapter (where I am this week) Job is still trying to reason his way through what he is suffering. He's wondering if darkness isn't better than continuing on. He's wondering a lot of things in his own understanding which call God into question.

I'm glad the whole long Book of Job isn't the story of a spiritual super hero who leaps from tall buildings in a single bound of faith... who can stop the speeding bullets of doubt every time... or the charge of a locomotive with a verse he memorized as a child. I'm glad Job had witless friends who led him astray and didn't have all the answers. I'm glad Job's wife gave up quickly and told him to throw in the towel. It makes him all the more accessible to me in my times of trial.

I'm not finished with this time through the Book of Job yet. But I think more importantly, the Book of Job isn't finished with me. I'm savoring his call to go ahead and muster the courage to go through whatever trial comes; not ducking, side-stepping, or post-poning. I'm heartened by his teaching me to reach up for the hand of God as I walk; how foolish to walk in a trial alone). I need to learn (again and again and again it seems) to trust in the One in whose image I am made and not in the loudest voices all around me. This last one at least means that I must get out of the fray once in a while to hear and see the One.

Even as I read back this post it brings a smile to my face. People whose lives are in a hop,skip, jump mode from good, to better to best will likely read it and think "oh bummer." But any who have expereinced Jobian trials... whose lives are less certain...who are in the beginning, middle or end of a time of suffering will likely find some small light of comfort here. May we all receive what we need from what has been offered in our lives. Blessings and Joy. THE CELTIC MONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation