FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME



No matter where I live, I am a Chicagoan. It's sights and sounds (and sound-bytes) are in my head.

This week I listened to Chris Fabry Live, a radio call-in program that addressed the topic of Lent: who practiced, who didn't, why some did, why others did not.  Callers lined up with their very nice sounding rationalizations for what they had already decided was true. I find most people who call in to talk shows don't do it to listen or learn, but to share their already made up minds ;-) It was an amusing use of my 'car time'.

But it seems that the conversation has stuck with me.  So while putting my k-cup in my coffee machine this morning a metaphor came to mind regarding what I heard and it was simply this: "for the love of the game." For the love of the game, that's why we observe the season of Lent.  It's all about Love... and the game (sorry if it seems irreverent) is our relationship with/to God.  We keep Lent, we observe it, we do it, we practice it... for the love of the game.

"For the Love of the Game" is the shorthand for a clause Michael Jordan had written into his contract with the Chicago Bulls.  It seemed that pro contracts did not allow you to play/practice your sport outside of their purview.  Heaven forbid you should get hurt and no longer be a cash cow for your franchise! So he went to Jerry Krause, the Bulls General Manager and they worked out the "Love of the Game Clause"  which allowed Michael Jordan to play pick-up ball, or play anytime and any place he wanted.  Jordan believed that this extra curricular playing was one of the ways he had always used to sort out stuff in his life and clear his head.

So waiting for my coffee to brew this morning the radio call-in program on Lent and Michael Jordan's "Love of the Game Clause" collided.  That's it! I thought.  Our observance of Lent is like Jordan's love of the game clause.  Lent is an invitation offered to those on the path of God's love to sort ourselves out and clear our heads.  It's a pick-up game in reflection, in prayers, in spiritual disciplines. It's something added to our regular season just because we can and because it brings joy and growth and maybe even the good kind of tired at the end of a long day.

No one makes you play extra.  There is no coercion.  There is just the opportunity, like seeing a bunch of guys under the hoop at the park and walking over to join in.  There's just that something that wells up inside for more and encourages you to make a plan, or a promise and then work it out over these 40 days.  Just because. No glory. No cheering crowds. No extra jewels in your crown. Just for the love of the game...

Over the years, whether during Lent or not, when I've committed to a spiritual practice of one kind or another... it has always been for the love of the game and I've never been disappointed. And it seems to me now that the One I meet on the court under the lights is not Michael Jordan (although that would be very cool) but is instead the Creator and Author of all that is, was and is to come. 

No one ever had to compel Michael Jordan to play basketball.  And my two-cents is we ought not need to be compelled to commit to the season of Lent.  If you are in this thing we call our life of faith "for the love of the game" I'd really like to hear what you have decided to do to keep these 40 days.  Please do drop me an email: thecelticmonk@att.net   It would be a privilege to pray for you while you're out there on the court!

In peace and joy,

Kathleen Bronagh Weller  THECELTICMONK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Up the Farm or Farewell to Farmville

Hope as a Verb

An Invitation